If you've been around the internet lately and have proven interest in sustainability or the environment, you may have seen ads about Ecosia, a search engine that actually plants trees! You may have some questions though. What are they really about, and do they actually do good? Let me help you out.
What Is Ecosia All About?
Ecosia is simply a FREE search engine that takes the ad revenue they generate, and gives a hefty sum to organizations that plant trees. All it takes is a simple browser extension download, and you search like normal!
- The company promises to use at least 80% of its profits from ad revenue for planting trees around the world.
- They provide full and absolute transparency by publishing proof of financial support.
- Ecosia guarantees quality results through search technology from Bing while being enhanced with Ecosia's own unique algorithms.
- They will always be a CO2-neutral web search which means that Ecosia neutralizes all carbon emissions that are related to your web searches.
Is Ecosia Legit?
In short, yes. Ecosia.org is a certified B Corporation, which means that they are a for-profit company that is certified by the nonprofit B Lab by meeting "rigorous standards of social and environmental performance, accountability, and transparency."
Why I Personally Use Ecosia
I'm A Tree-planter!
Ecosia says that they plant about 1 tree for every 30 seconds. Wonderful. They also have a little display of how many searches you've done in the top right corner while you search to keep track of your progress. About 45 searches will plant a tree! It's really cool to be able to keep track of how many trees you've planted. Well, not actually planted yourself, but how many trees you've helped with financially!
Trees Are Important!
- Trees produce oxygen, absorb carbon dioxide, and fight climate change.
- Trees prevent soil erosion.
- Trees clean and filter our air while absorbing pollutants.
- Forests regulate water cycles and help with ecosystem diversity and food.
I Don't Have To Do Anything
I love the idea or planting trees by, well, not doing anything. I just make my searches like normal and I feel like I'm doing some good in the world.
I also love their transparency promise. You can see exactly where all of their money is going each month in their financial reports and tree planting receipts.
Should I Use Ecosia?
It's really up to you! But my thinking was... why not? Unless you are dead-set on Google as a search engine, I say give it a try. I is a clean search engine that works well while also doing good for our planet. A planet that plainly needs a lot of help.
As of posting this, Ecosia has helped plant over 17 million trees. I can't wait to help them plant more.